School Concerts and Master Classes
Coastal Concerts brings world-class professional musicians into area schools to provide educational experiences and performance for students from grades K to 12. Some audiences are large groups; in other cases, visiting musicians conduct individual or small group master classes. These programs allow children to experience the joy and fun that music brings to life while also learning how to be a good audience member at a live performance. Many students would otherwise be deprived of experiencing a live classical music concert.
VIDA Guitar Quartet members explain rhythm to students at the Southern Delaware School of the Arts. (Photo by Sandra Pace)
Past in-school performances include:
- January 2016, VIDA Guitar Quartet - Southern Delaware School of the Arts
- March 2015, the Borealis Wind Quintet - Millsboro Middle School & Sussex Technical High School
- January 2015, Marian Anderson String Quartet – First State Community Action & Rehoboth Elementary School
- February 2014, violinist Elena Urioste conducted a master class at the Music School of Delaware.
- February 2014, the Danish String Quartet presented two outreach programs at the Sussex Academy of Arts and Sciences and the Jefferson School.
- November 2013, the Brasil Guitar Duo performed two outreach concerts at Cape Henlopen High School for the high school students and Middle School students from Sussex County at were bused to the high school.
- April 2013, Rebel Baroque Ensemble performed two outreach concerts at Cape Henlopen High School for the high school students and Middle School students from Sussex County that were bused to the high school.
- November 2012, the Ritz Chamber Players performed two outreach concerts at both Sussex County School of the Arts and Selbyville Middle School.
- March 2012, Spanish Brass performed two outreach concerts at both Georgetown Elementary and Georgetown Middle Schools.
- February 2012, Carpe Diem String Quartet performed two outreach concerts at Milford Middle School.
- January 2011, The Harlem Quartet was scheduled to perform an outreach concert at Milford Middle school, but due to school closing due to snow, the performance was cancelled.
- November 2010, the Chatham Baroque performed outreach concerts at both the Jefferson School and the Sussex Academy of Arts & Science
- November 2009, The Colorado String Quartet performed two outreach concerts at Shields Elementary School in Lewes.
- October 2009, the Pyxis Piano Quartet, comprised of professional musicians from northern Delaware, performed in both Georgetown and North Georgetown Elementary Schools
- January, 2009, a classical music program with the California based Cypress String Quartet at Beacon Middle School and The Sussex Academy of Arts and Sciences
- January, 2008, Say it With Brass & Rhythm with the Meridian Arts Ensemble at Mariner Middle School and H.O. Brittingham Elementary School
- January, 2007, Peter and the Wolf with the Zephyros Winds at Rehoboth Elementary School