Our Mission Statement
Coastal Concerts promotes classical music appreciation through live concerts, outreach, and educational activities. Specifically, Coastal Concerts achieves that mission by:
- ·Presenting an annual five concert subscription series in a season running from October through March, plus a sixth non-subscription “wild card” concert in April, with discounted admission. These concerts feature world-class professional musicians who concert goers would typically have to travel to large, culturally rich metropolitan areas to hear.
- ·Offering free admission to all concerts for youths ages 18 and under, including free admission for one adult accompanying each youth; discounted admission is available for students 19 and older as well as for active duty and retired career military personnel.
- ·Sponsoring an annual scholarship competition for musically talented high school students on the Delmarva Peninsula who wish to pursue further musical education or training.
- ·Collecting donations of used but playable musical instruments for use in the Sussex County instructional music programs, and in other Southern Delaware non-profit instructional music programs for youths.
- ·Presenting free in-school educational concerts in Sussex County public schools, using professional classical music musicians, usually from our subscription concert series.
- ·Presenting free or low-cost outreach programs, open to the public, to promote the appreciation of classical music.
Coastal Concerts was established in 1999 as a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation by a group of volunteers dedicated to bringing world-class classical music to audiences in Southern Delaware. The organization was managed and operated entirely by volunteers until December 2008 when the Coastal Concerts Board of Directors hired a part-time Executive Director. All Board members are volunteers.
After initially focusing on residents of Lewes, Delaware and immediately surrounding communities, Coastal Concerts now presents programs throughout central Delmarva and draws audience members from the Mid-Atlantic region. Educational and outreach programs, as well as marketing activities, are targeted to Southern Delaware communities, which are the primary source of support for the organization. Coastal Concerts is not a membership organization. Our audiences, donors, and volunteers make up our "membership."
The Coastal Concerts budget for the 2018-2019 concert season is approximately $122,540. Tickets sales are projected to provide about one third of the revenues needed to cover expenses. The remainder of the funds needed must be raised through sales of program booklet advertising, grants, and individual and corporate donations.
Board of Directors
Carol A. Dennis
Doug Barton, Vice President
Karen Palmer, Treasurer
Phyllis Thomas, Secretary
Steve Van Order